Life Verse

For you have not received a spirit of slavery leading to fear again, but you have received a spirit of adoption as sons by which we cry out, "Abba! Father!" The Spirit Himself testifies with our spirit that we are children of God, and if children, heirs also, heirs of God and fellow heirs with Christ, if indeed we suffer with Him so that we may also be glorified with Him.

Romans 8:15-17

Saturday, January 1, 2011

The Beginning

There are a lot of voices in the world today.  Political, social, economic, religious voices (to name a few) are all screaming loudly to gain an audience and a following.  This can be very easily verified simply by going to any bookstore and observing the myriad of different opinions and viewpoints represented by the various literary offerings on the shelves.  You can turn on the television and click through the channels to find even more varied topics to feast upon.  Not a day goes by that I don't hear from the media about a lot of different opinions on government and politics, social and lifestyle issues, religion and spiritual concerns, and any number of other issues on which we crave perspective. 

With such a wide array of perspectives on all of these issues, it is easy to become confused, or complacent, or even angry.  All of those reactions can intensify (depending on your own personal views and to what extent you hold them) as the discussion and debate continues.  Confusion, because of the sheer number of differing views.  Complacency, because you may not care one way or another.  Anger, because you hold a view strongly due to moral conviction and spiritual belief and you have grown tired of remaining silent while the whole world seemingly ignores the Truth. I think I fit in this last category!

My goal in this blog is to "put out there" what I believe is the "Voice of Truth" by sharing my voice in a variety of ways (personal experiences and recollections, my source of strength and hope, stories, etc.) with those who share my beliefs and to encourage those who can relate to my story.  Regardless of why you are reading this blog, I hope that what you read here will inspire you to maintain your convictions in such a diverse and confusing world.  If your view is different from mine, then I hope that you will approach these thoughts with an open mind.

Homosexuality and the so-called "homosexual agenda" have gotten a lot of attention in the mainstream and Christian media recently.  The specific issues of gay marriage, same-sex unions, gays in the military and "Don't Ask Don't Tell" among others, have gotten a lot of media attention of late.  Television programs, radio programs, internet sites, blogs, etc. have focused a lot of time and energy on these issues.  Though my story is intensely personal, and generally I am a very private person, I am convinced that it is very important for me to add in a small way a little balance to the debate; hence, the current blog.  I do this for no other reason than that I have a conviction in my spirit to do so, an urging to add a different perspective to what I believe is largely missing in a lot of the public debate: that there are people in this world (including me) who struggle with unwanted same-sex attraction, who based on their Christian beliefs view acting on those feelings as a sin, a moral transgression against the will of God.  I know that particular view runs contrary to the contemporary mainstream cultural sentiment in the world today and this is precisely why I feel that my perspective will add some much needed balance to the discussion.  In my opinion one of the reasons this perspective gets little or no attention from the media is that the world has its own agenda which is contrary to God's agenda and purposes.  The world has been blinded by a deceptive spirit and will continue to be so as long as it is under the influence of the evil one.

I feel I can no longer remain silent about this issue.  I hope it will become clear as you continue to read in the upcoming days, weeks, years, etc. that my view is uncompromising and based on an intensely personal faith in Jesus Christ.  I make no apologies for what I believe.  Jesus Christ is my Lord and Savior and despite all of the struggles, failures, and hardships I have gone through and continue to go through, I know that He is the only true God and he is my God.  I have a genuine personal and living relationship with Him.  He offers forgiveness to me (and to you) in ALL areas of my life. He has the power to restore to me (and to you) a life of peace, joy, contentment, and love.  It is because of the mercy, grace, and love of Christ that I have a measure of freedom from this type of bondage and deception.  This blog is dedicated to Him.

1 comment:

  1. Amen! Brother, I see everyday those who seem to view same-sex attraction as something you are 'born with'. I believe the God of heaven who loves me enough to send His own son to die for me. Also, loves me enough he would not make sin an acceptable part of my life. Sin is part of our human nature not our godly nature. Everyone is born with a sin nature. The Bible is clear about God's view of same-sex attraction. It is my goal to have the same view God has.

    ReplyDelete