Life Verse

For you have not received a spirit of slavery leading to fear again, but you have received a spirit of adoption as sons by which we cry out, "Abba! Father!" The Spirit Himself testifies with our spirit that we are children of God, and if children, heirs also, heirs of God and fellow heirs with Christ, if indeed we suffer with Him so that we may also be glorified with Him.

Romans 8:15-17

Thursday, April 7, 2011

Strongholds

“The Lord is my light and my salvation; Whom shall I fear?  The Lord is the defense (stronghold) of my life; Whom shall I dread? ” (Psalm 27:1, NASB)

Maybe it is because I am stubborn, or just resistant to change, but I spent a lot of time looking up the word “stronghold” in several different resources simply because each definition I saw did not fit with what I thought the definition was!  I am glad I stuck with that process because it made me realize, and in a sense meditate on the word and what it truly means.  I had always thought that a stronghold was some mysterious force that had an overpowering grip on me.  I used the word loosely to label some struggle or difficulty I was experiencing in my life.  As I kept reading various definitions, I had enlightenment.  As part of the definition, a stronghold is a “place”, or a “location”.  The Free Dictionary online (http://www.thefreedictionary.com/) defines stronghold as “a fortified place or a fortress” The second definition is stated as “a place of survival or refuge”.

When I finally accepted that basic definition, I begin to realize how important having that perspective was to my understanding of the true nature of a stronghold.  I was inspired by reading a simple verse from God’s Word (Psalm 27:1, see above). The New American Standard Bible (NASB) translation uses the word “defense” but the English Standard Version (ESV) translation uses the word “stronghold”.  Reading the word stronghold as a place makes God the place where I go for refuge or protection.  In war terminology a stronghold is “a defensible place or a fortress”.  The Psalms (especially those written by David) use this type of war imagery and analogy quite often when speaking about spiritual things.

At many times in my life there have been several places of refuge that I would resort to in an effort to protect myself or hide: lust in all its variations, sexual gratification, isolation, anger, lying,—the list goes on and on.  In the midst of my sexual addiction, these places were my strongholds.  Essentially my stronghold was the World and the beliefs, philosophies, and powers contained therein.  I would go there very often in a vain attempt to find solace, comfort, or refuge.

However, there is so much hope found in Psalm 27:1 as well as many other places in God’s Word.  The Lord God Almighty is my place of refuge, my stronghold!  I have this vision of God as a fortified, invincible castle in which I reside.  When I am there, there is no reason for fear.  There may be an onslaught of turmoil (adversaries, enemies, temptations, etc.) waiting outside for me seeking to destroy me, but as long as I am in the protection of the Stronghold, I am safe.  The Lord is my “Light”.  The Lord is my “Salvation”.  The Lord is my “Stronghold”!  May I reside there forever!

No comments:

Post a Comment